1. I have to admit something. I stopped reading the blog that hosts 7 Quick Takes Friday a long time ago. There is nothing wrong with it but it just didn’t make it when I cut my blogroll by fifty-percent. But I like doing these short, quick posts every-once in a while so I kept participating but it felt wrong. Thus, for 2011, the Saturday Seven is born.
2. I almost didn’t even want to look back at last year’s resolutions. I already know they were not all accomplished but here is a run-down:
- Become parents: done. And I don’t think we are doing too bad a job (but I’m always open to learning how to do it better)
- Read thru the Bible: Not so much. I read half of the Old Testament and the Gospels. It just did not happen this year.
- Eat at home: Mostly done. We enjoyed our CSA this summer but it was way more food than we could handle. I still need to figure out how to cook for four people, including one with a food intolerance (me) and three with very limited food preferences.
- Read five books: Well, I did not read all the ones I listed but I did read To Kill a Mockingbird, I’m Down, Cringe, Love & Logic Magic for Early Childhood, The Help, Growing Up Black in White, The Girl in the Orange Dress, and The Connected Child. Plus, a lot of children’s books (notable mentions go to Grace for President, Corduroy, The Hello, Goodbye Window, The Jesus Storybook Bible and Bear Snores On).
- Get in shape: Hah! Our elliptical machine stopped working and we gladly said goodbye to it last week via Freecycle. I ran like four times. I took many walks pushing a two-year-old and large baby this summer. But, no, I did not get in shape.
3. Things that did happen in 2010 that I did not predict:
- I got my nose pierced (after wanting to do so for nearly 10 years).
- We bought a mini-van. We are now one of many, many silver mini-vans on the streets of the suburbs of Detroit.
- We cared for six children in our home – five boys and one little girl. I didn’t expect to have this many placements our first year of foster parenting. And I didn’t expect to love being a mom to a little girl so much (after years of saying I only wanted boys, M changed my mind).
- Enrolling a child in preschool at the private school my husband and I attended. Eating my words.
4. Goals for 2011…
- A new wall color for the living room, hallway and kitchen
- Finally watch the tutorial DVD that came with my camera
- Memorize 24 Bible verses
- Connected and happy boys
- More prayer, more Bible reading, more journaling/writing
- Cook one new recipe per week
5. Some things I am really looking forward to in 2011…
- The arrival of my best friend’s baby boy (any time now!)
- A new niece in March…or February 🙂
- Preschool soccer games
- Reading books on our new iPad (I’ve already started with Same Kind of Different as Me). Our house is being overtaken by books – I am happy to have this space saving way to read.
6. My favorite television shows of 2010: Mad Men, Parenthood, 30 Rock and Modern Family. My favorite movie on 2010: The Social Network (although, most others didn’t stand a chance because I could not stay awake for them).
7. Here is my first verse for 2011…
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)