We are definitely still adjusting to our new family dynamics here and I am sure we will be for a while. The boys really are doing great. D and I are both so impressed with their resilience and flexibility. As I write this, I am realizing that we only met them three weeks ago and they have only been living here full-time for two weeks. It feels like it has been much, much longer (and I mean that in a good way).
Hopefully, I can get back on track with The Connected Child (among other things) in the coming week. A few things that have been going on:
- We want to put D2 is pre-school but after looking into the free, state-run program (available to all kids in foster care), we were not so thrilled at the idea of him being gone five, full-days a week. We looked at some other options and decided to send him to a pre-school that we are already familiar with that is only three, half-days a week. The school also has a majority of African-American students so that is another reason we chose it (D2 and A are biracial). He will start in January.
- I was worried about how the boys might react to not being together for pre-school (A is going to stay home). However, after a few full-days with them, we both realized that they could probably use some time apart. Right now, they are together all the time. By late afternoon, they go into ten-minute cycles of playing together then to crying & fighting over some toy (usually one of the hundreds of matchbox cars).
- Here is something super fun…health care plans. The state-run medical care plan that the boys are on just went through a bunch of changes. It requires foster parents to pick a plan for each child. Since everything was sort of chaotic for a bit, we never received the paperwork to choose a plan and the state assigned the boys to TWO DIFFERENT PLANS. Why? I have no clue. So, now we have to go through a somewhat frustrating process to get them on the same plan so that we can all go to the same doctor.
- On Friday, we found out we are getting a new social worker. We are bummed because we really liked our last one but hopefully our new one will be just as great.
- And, just in case you missed it, we recorded a new podcast last week.