A few more thoughts & links from the conference….
1. There was so much to take in at the Together for Adoption conference but I left with a huge conviction and sense that I need to pray more for orphaned and vulnerable children and for what our role should be in caring for them. Dr. Susan Hills talked a lot about things she has prayed for over the last twenty years that are just now becoming reality. I’m confident that prayer is needed as much as all the programs and ideas and action.
2. This post did a great job of summarizing Robert Gelinas’ impromptu message he gave at the conference after one of the speakers was unable to come due to illness. It was pretty amazing for something he only had a few days notice. God is doing some amazing work through the local church in Colorado in the state’s foster care system. This message was especially inspiring for me.
3. I am participating in an online book club where we will be reading Dr. Karyn Purvis’ The Connected Child. I bought this book weeks before the conference. We don’t start for a few weeks so if you are interested in joining there is still time.
4. I was not at the breakout session lead by Tom Davis of Children’s Hope Chest but the story is so encouraging and amazing. In one hour, eighty people gave enough money to rescue six girls from sex trafficking. Go read about it.
5. November 7 is Orphan Sunday. Click the link to see what you church can do that day to draw awareness.
And for some non-related thoughts…
6. We spent a little extra time with my niece & nephew this week to help out their parents a bit. Ellie (age 3) asked me to tell her a story about a princess yesterday. So, I told her a story about a princess who loved to read books and pray and share with others. Ellie seemed unimpressed and decided to finish up the story for me, “And then the prince came and they danced!”
She also asked me to tell her the story about her birthday. If you know me, you know I have just a bit of a soft spot for this story and have never told it without crying and yesterday was no exception. I’m guessing Ellie is probably done asking me for stories.
7. One last thing…GO GREEN!
*Hosted at Conversion Diary